RE: 86 528e heater/ac/fresh air flap stuck open

Steve Buhk  wrote:
***
>  the flap on my car is run by a motor not cable,  it
>  seems it is stuck open , always fresh air, with ac on
>  fresh air also, i want to shut it . . . it sounds tough
>  to get in there,  any ideas? . . .will be replacing
>  stereo soon so i figure thats a good time to get in
>  there,  question i have is what to look for i know it
>  is near the heater core . . .
***

Just did the same on an '83 528e last week. What I found: Flap controlled by
middle lever of heater control was not closing because the plastic bracket
which holds the far end of the cable housing was broken. The bracket had a
rectangular hole that the metal cable housing clip slides into had broken out,
the outer side of the "hole" was missing.I fixed it by making a double
thickness sheet metal "U" approximately 1/2 inch by 5/8 inch by 3/8 inch and
slipping it OVER both metal clip and remaining half of plastic bracket. It worked!

To get to:Remove 2 screws that hold plastic side panel above and to the center
from passengers feet, I did have to drop the glove box by sliding out pin in
strap to get at it

David Wolf

84 318, 190k--mi
83 528e, 268k--km