RE: 86 528e heater/ac/fresh air flap stuck open

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 00:22:19 -0500
>From: Pamela Crossett <agraphic@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: 86 528e  heater/ac/fresh air flap stuck open
>
>Steve Buhk  wrote:
>***
>>  the flap on my car is run by a motor not cable,  it
>>  seems it is stuck open , always fresh air, with ac on
>>  fresh air also, i want to shut it . . . it sounds tough
>>  to get in there,  any ideas? . . .will be replacing
>>  stereo soon so i figure thats a good time to get in
>>  there,  question i have is what to look for i know it
>>  is near the heater core . . .
>***
>
>Just did the same on an '83 528e last week. What I found: Flap controlled by
>middle lever of heater control was not closing because the plastic bracket
>which holds the far end of the cable housing was broken. The bracket had a
>rectangular hole that the metal cable housing clip slides into had broken
>out,
>the outer side of the "hole" was missing.I fixed it by making a double
>thickness sheet metal "U" approximately 1/2 inch by 5/8 inch by 3/8 inch and
>slipping it OVER both metal clip and remaining half of plastic bracket. It
>worked!
>
>To get to:Remove 2 screws that hold plastic side panel above and to the
>center
>from passengers feet, I did have to drop the glove box by sliding out pin in
>strap to get at it

Actually on 86 and newer E28s the flap is electrically controlled (to go
to recirc mode automatically when the A/C is swtiched on).

Once making sure the switches and wires and such work, look at replacing
the motor on this. My failed with split plastic gears on the inside.

It is tedious, but skill required is low. The flap actuator is on the
passenger side of the console and can be reached by dropping the glove
box and removing a black plastic trim panel just to the left of the glove
box, behind the door when  it is closed. I had to remove a small piece of
the flexible ductwork to replace, but it goes back.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86