Re: bmw-digest V9 #783

Gary Bossert wrote:

> I won't get into a convertible at a driver school either and I
> think the committee needs to ban any convertible that doesn't have an > SCCA approved rollcage and arm restraints.

And I agree with him.  Once again I'll recount my personal experience: I
have a little convertible that was a track car for many years.  I was
forced by event organizers to put in a full cage - not just a rollbar (I
tried that, no dice) - in order to take passengers, which by the way was
a mandate for that particular school sponsor (student rides).  That
meant a hardtop, no way to fit the soft top over the cage.  I did it,
but I sure thought it was overkill.  For what it's worth, that car has
stayed on its wheels.  My SCCA T2 E36 M3 was not so lucky though, and
after I rolled it at Summit Point I looked at the damage and realized
what would have happened to my head without the cage.  And that is in a
hardtop coupe, not a roadster, and after 15 years of driving
schools/racing.  Of course _I_ was never going to roll a car.  Well it
can happen, it did happen to me, and now I no longer feel a full cage is
superfluous, even in a hardtop.  I'm with Gary; I won't take my
convertible on the track without rollover protection, much less ride in
yours.

Kathy