RE: Oil temp vs water temp

Mark -

This does not make sense to me, but I can be convinced. The oil is in
much closer proximity to the combustion process, and is subject to all
the shearing action at the bearing journals and rubbing on, say, the cam
lobes. I would think the oil gets up to temp quicker than the water. The
water is circulated around for several minutes before the thermostat
even opens to allow the radiator to do its work. But then again, I have
never owned a car with both a water and an oil temp gauge. That said,
back to the original question of when is the engine properly warmed up
before proceeding to spirited driving, you must also take into account
the tranny, the diff, and any other driveline components that depend on
lubrication for protection. I would think that fifteen to twenty minutes
is a minimum. Fargo, NoDak, in February, probably more.

Clark

	[Clark Gilbert]  snip out Chester's question