Oil Temp & Pressure

Hi.  I noticed a lot of people talking about the idiot light on US
spec BMWs.  I see a coolant temp gauge on my '99 M3 and was wondering
if this is the temp of the coolant or is it an oil temp gauge?  Also,
which would warm up faster, oil temp or coolant?  It's pretty cold in
NY and I go very lightly on the gas until the engine fully warms up.
However, I wouldn't want to go by the coolant gauge if it was giving
me a false sense that the engine was warmed up when it was not.  As of
now, I wait a little bit more after the needle goes to the center.  I
also saw a product that replaced the plastic cap with an aluminum one
that can be tapped and fitted with oil temp and pressure sending
units.  I think this is a better solution than the ones located at the
bottom of oil filters or what have you.

As I have driven my car for only three weeks, I probably don't know
what I'm talking about, but hopefully that will change with the great
advice given out here =)

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Chester
'99 M3