Re: bmw-digest V9 #767

> From: Kai Wang <kaiwang@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30 M3 Questions
>
> To those of you that have owned or currently own the E30 M3, how is
> this car's reliability (engine, trans, electrical, misc)?  I expect to
> get a car with around 80-90k miles and put an additional 50k miles on
> it...

For me, the car has been very reliable.  Sure, I had to replace some
things, but it was all done out of love.  It is kind of expensive, but
well worth it IMO.

> If the car is not garaged, will it have problems starting up on COLD,
> Washington D.C. winter mornings?  Getting to work at 6 am in the
> morning is rather important to me!
>
> How does this car handle in the snow/ice assuming I mount snow tires
> on all four corners and don't go wild with the throttle?

If you have watched the news over the last couple of days, you have
heard about the weather that hit the midwest, particularly the Chicago
area.  (If not, over the last few days we received between 17 and 21
inches of snow).
I have Dunlop Graspic snows all the way around, and my M did as well, if
not better, than most cars I encountered on the road.  My car starts
fine, and warms up in average time.  It does sit in a garage, but over
the last weekend, temps have been getting down to single digits.
Starts right up, warm it up for about 15-20 mins, and wheeeee.  I don't
drive it every day (commute by train) so it usually sits for a couple of
days without being driven.
The only reason I wouldn't drive it in the winter is if I had a beater
car to drive - which I don't.  This car was meant to be driven.  To
those purists who say they shouldn't be driven in the winter, all I have
to say is that I am accepting donations to purchase another car.

> >From my research, the US models were all the same drivetrain wise.
> What are the trim/interior/misc feature differences on this car for
> 1988(7?) thru 1991?  Is there a particular US production year
> particularly bad or good for this car?

All production years are great!  You will pay more for newer ones, most
likely because they will have fewer miles.  Main differences are that
the 90 and later models have the upgraded airbox and an airbag (ugh).

Look for one with a good service history.  I have the complete history
for my car, receipts for everything done to it.  It now has 111,xxx
miles on it, and runs great.

///Michael
88 M3, snowplow front spoiler (aka EVOII)