Re: bmw-digest V9 #776

In a message dated 1/3/99 3:38:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Could some one tell me if a set of M contour wheels (E36 17x7 1/2 F/17x8
 1/2 R) will fit
 an E30 M3. I know I will have to use H & R wheel spacers to obtain
 proper offset, but
 will I be able to use that wide of a rim on the rears. Also if anyone
 has a pictures of the M contour wheels on an E30 that they would share
 via email, I would appreciate it a great deal. Also any pros and cons on
 using wheel spacers.

 TIA

 Bradley Otto
 bmwcca 88261
 88 M3
 82 320is
 71 2002

They should fit OK if you can get an offset of about 22-24mm.  Also, tire
widths are going to be tough on an 8.5 in rim.

I run 235/40R17s on 17x8 rims and I had to grind off about a quarter inch of
fender lip to get it to fit OK.  But I had 15mm offset.  I'm not sure it would
clear the shocks if you added another 7-9mm of offset but It might.
Otherwise, shave the fender lip.  And you probably won't be able to go much
wider than 235s.

An alternative would be to trade the 8.5s to an E36 M3 owner who wants 8.5 all
around and so you'll have a full set of 7.5s which will be easier to clear
fenders and shocks and you'll gain the ability to rotate plus a little extra
cash back.  You can still run 235s on the 7.5s anyways and you'll have a
little tire bulge to protect against curb scrapes.

I haven't seen an M3 with M Countours but Turner's site has the forged double
spokes if you want to see one of those...

Rob
89 M3