Re: <E-36> Creaking when jacking up the front end

S. Cooperman wrote:

>Jeff Roberts wrote about jack points:
><As you jack carefully you will hear a few ominous creaking sounds. >
>
>I have noticed the creaking too.  Can anyone explain why our cars creak
>when we jack the front end up?  Is this normal or are we doing something
>wrong?

For the record (if anyone really cares) the creaking I was refering to was
the sound of the jack gently crushing the sheet metal cover plate behind the
front subframe. But yes there are many other creaks to be heard while
jacking cars up. In fact the older the car the more interesting the
experience. Just for fun jack up a 2002 by one of the standard front jacking
points and then open the door (carefully not to hit the jack, of course).
Note the mis alignment when you try to close the door. Lots of chassis flex
in those old  02's.

Jeff Roberts

'88 325 is
'68 2002 Race Car