re: <E-36> Creaking when jacking up the front end

Hi Steve,

>>Jeff Roberts wrote about jack points:
>>As you jack carefully you will hear a few ominous creaking sounds. >

>>I have noticed the creaking too.  Can anyone explain why our cars creak
>>when we jack the front end up?  Is this normal or are we doing something
>>wrong?

It is quite normal for vehicles to creak when being jacked up, especially
if jacking from one side only. This can be caused by the springs and shocks
compressing on the other side, or dropping if both sides are being jacked.
You can also get creaking from the various ball joints and bushes moving ,
particularly the anti-roll bars rotating in their housings as the
suspension moves. When jacking only the front, you car also sometimes hear
the rear parking brake shoes creaking as the drum slowly turns (the angle
of the car relative to the wheel changing). On the road the suspension
moves far quicker than when jacking up so the noise is less noticeable,
especially considering the road noise etc.

I hope this helps, but I have flame suit on just in case!!!

Sean.
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~scm1/bmw.htm

'93 E36 325i SE (24v VaNoS)
(E36 ///M3 next...)