E30 Cold start probs

Michael St. Clair wrote:
***
>  I have a starting prob with my 1984 318i (2 litre) In
>  the mornings, or when i havent started the car for a
>  number of hours, when i try to start the motor, there
>  is a long delay from when i turn the key until the
>  motor starts. . . . All this with a new BMW battery,
>  reco starter and reco alternator. I was having same
>  probs before all these were repalced. ignition coil
>  is new as well.
***

The key is "when I wipe clean..." . You have dirty/corroded battery terminals,
the corrosion (lead oxide) builds up over night you nead to remove, clean and
reattach the bat. termanals. First clean off terminals with a mixture of 1-2
Tsb baking soda in a cup of water then loosen bolts and using either a specal
bat. cleaning tool (?~$3) or a swiss army knife (ala McGuiver), clean to shiny
both the batt. posts and the inside of the cable ends then apply a liberal
coating of grease or "vasilene" and bolt back together. Good luck.

David wolf
'84 318i 190k--mi
S/O '83 528e 260k--km