Regarding Titanium Rob Knobs (my usual inanity)

Gruppe,

Having purchased more than my fair share of titanium accoutrements (bikes,
ski accessories, windsurfing gear, automotive parts, wet suits, etc, et al,
ad nauseum, take tums) the thing that struck me most was just how
stupendously light they all were. In fact, each manufacturer went to great
pains to point out how the unbearable lightness of Ti was its most salient
point. This very lightness, together with the additional performance
provided thereby, would create a certifiable demigod of its owner in each
of its respective applications. Thus I became, through purchasing said
horrifically expensive gimcracks and knickknacks, my own private John
Tomac, Scott Schmidt, Robbie Naish, Mika Hakkinen, etc.  Or at the very
least, a legend in my own mind and a whole lot less liquid.

Then my world is turned upside down by Rob Levinson and UUC Motorwerks
coming along and offering us the Rob Knob and the following:

> What we discovered after using the prototypes for a few weeks is that
>they seemed to improve shift feel.  These knobs are *heavy*, solid aluminum
>or titanium, and they seem to do something to make shifting smoother and
>lower-effort.

Wow! Heavy Titanium.  This, my friends, has instantly pegged the needle on
the Lust-O-Meter.  There has just got to be gobs of good juju in that there
heavy Titanium. I don't care about price, I don't care about performance, I
just don't care. There has permanently twisted some synapse wide open in my
feeble little mind. It provides the first concept that the infant mind ever
learns: I WANT, I WANT, I WANT.

Now, lest anybody think that I am criticizing UUC Motorwerks, the efforts
of Ben or Rob or www.shortshifter.com or any other such malarkey, I  assure
you that I am not. I was, is, and remain an adoring fan. I am sincerely,
truly and adamantly in lust of the entire concept of the Heavy Titanium Rob
Knob.

Heavy Titanium.

Sheer marketing genius. Bow your heads, brethren, for we are in the
presence of the truly gifted.

Regards,
Jonathan Porath
'90 E30 M3 Longshifter, looking to get me a little knob.

End of bmw-digest V9 #772