Re: e28 shift knob removal BA

>From: poland1 <polands@domain.elided>
>Subject: e28 shift knob removal
>
>Regular shop people say it just
>pulls off, but with difficulty.

The are wrong.

> So having pulled as hard as I can with no result, I have two
questions:
>1.  What is a do-able method for removing the knob to allow removal and
>installation of new rubber grommet?

It just pulls off, with a great amount of force (as opposed to "with
difficulty".  Grab it and severely yank upwards.  Watch your
face...............

>2.  How do I deal with the wire that comes through the grommet?  Do I
>have to disconnect something under the car?

There should be a two pin connector above the boot, somewhere within the
confines of the console.  Disconnect it, pull it through the grommet and
push it through the new one.  If you can't find the connector, remove
the individual wires from the reverse light switch on the side of the
transmission and pull the entire harness throught the hole.

>Steve Poland

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta