Re: <E3> frozen locks

Chris,

Based on the schematics I got (AllData, Bentley Manual, Dealer) this is
the way I think it works:
On those cars without lock heaters, the switch activates the TG Timer
Enable input of the Interior Light Timer Control (ILTC) located underneath
the Left Speaker. The Driver's Door Jamb Switch activates the TK Timer
Enable Input of the ILTC. If the TG input was activated before the TK
input then the ILTC will keep the interior lights on for 8 seconds, if not
then the interior lights go off as the door jam switch opens. As a result,
if you are coming from the outside, the lights will stay on for 8 sec
otherwise (exiting the car form the inside) the lighs go off as the door
closes. The ILTC also gets input from the Central Locking System, and
the three other door jamb switches (passenger side and rear doors).

The Driver's Exterior Door Handle Switch activates the lock heater while
the handle is lifted and the external temperature is below 2.5 Deg C as
measured by the OBC (external temperature sensor). The difference between
the switches of of the heated vs. non heated locks is an extra connector
(an a different part number of course) for the lock heater.  The interior
light delay in the lock heater cars is the same as the one described
above.

Anyway too much said about a minor feature. We all know by now that these
cars are overengineered to the hilt!

I trust this helps.

Fernando

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Christopher Pawlowicz wrote:

> At 06:28 PM 12/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Chris,
> >My E30 '88 325i has both interior light delay and heated door locks.
> >The door handle switch Part No. 61 31 1 374 784 does both jobs.
> >

> cool, thanks
>
> hmm.
>
> I thought there was a relay attached to the central lock computer that
> either a) kept the interior lights on or b) kept the lock heater on.
> I didn't think there was room for 2 relays.. I wonder how that works.
>
> thanks for the info
>
> chris

  Fernando C. Lebron, P.Eng.
  London Health Sciences Centre