<E28> Radio

I'm looking for input on replacing the stock radio in my 86 528e.  I
am going to put an in-dash CD player in, nothing fancy, just a decent
replacement for stock.

My question is this:  I am getting the unit from Crutchfield and I
have two options, I can buy their adapter for $40 which is a direct
plug in to the current wiring and utilizes the current amp and fader
controls.  Or I can go without the adapter and by-pass the amp and run
new wire from the speakers directly to the head unit.  The head unit
has 21 watts continuous & 40 watts peak power output.

Is the adapter worth it?  How would this compare to the power of the
stock system?  What is difficulty of re-running the wire from head
unit to speakers?

Thanks for the advice.
==
Tracy Mathews