<E-30> '87 325 clutch

All:

Just decided that 165k was enough for the original clutch (didn't want to
experience sudden failure and be stranded) and brought it in to have it
replaced along with all the other usuals for a 12 year old car...shift
bushings, tranny mounts, guibo, etc...at Phaedrus in San Francisco.  I think
I like this shop (maybe a bit expensive, but seem to have a similar desire
for perfection even for older cars, and the owners perfect 91 M5, 3.0CS and
2002 tii didn't hurt the impression!).  Anyway...the clutch was about 1/2
worn at 165k, not bad.  Fortunately, the linkage and bearings were in need
of replacement, so I didn't feel it was a complete waste!  One unexpected
result was the clutch is significantly lighter to depress...and with MTL, is
easier to slide into gear.  I had also complained about a vibration at high
speeds (80-120mph)...turned out to be rear tire balance...re-balanced and
the car is smooth again at high speeds.  Enjoy...nothing like a well
maintained car!

John Thomas
'94 318i   55k
'87 325  165k...dinan chip, suspension...
http://www.wenet.net/users/johnt/bmw.html

End of bmw-digest V9 #766