re: <E30 M3> Best Exhaust?

Cuervo wrote:
Subject: <E30 M3>  Best Exhaust?

My stock exhaust just rusted out and it's time for a new one.  Do I
stay  with the factory unit, or are any of the aftermarket ones better?

Cuervo Estevaz
'88 M3 (stock so far)

As a newbie E30 M3 owner myself, you can of course take any advice I
may offer with a grain of salt.

I'd been involved in a similar discussion not too long ago, and the
verdict is:

No one will be able to provide a 'better' (meaning a system that
provides increased performance over OEM) than what the car came with.

E30 M3s come with headers.  The cats are the most restrictive
component of the exhaust system.  Obviously, if you get rid of those
you're illegal (at least in the US).

Interesting sidenote:  I *do* know folks that have a 1-day-per year
muffler w/ cats that they put on to emissions test their car.

Aftermarket E30 M3 exhausts are a matter of preference, which one do
you like the sound of the best.  A lot of folks like Supersprint and
Borla (if you can take the noise)

Hope this helps,

Frank Massaro

BMW CCA Tarheel/ NCC