Double Clutching/Heel & Toe

>"When the engine isn't connected to the input shaft of the
>transmission, ...the blip is not as effective as speeding up the
>input shaft.

yep, thats exactly the reason why you may want to double clutch on
certain situations.  You can feel the rev is much easier with the
gear in neutral and with the clutch engaged.

>That being the case if you were in 4th headed into a turn that you
>needed to be in 2nd for the exit, would you just skip 3rd and go
>straight from 4th to 2nd.  Or is it not that simple, and it is
>different for each situation?

Well, I suppose everybody has their very own driving style, so YMMV.
But for myself, I'll double-clutch and heel & toe from 4th to 2nd
(skipping 3rd) into the hairpin.  You really need to rev the
engine/shaft up to make a smooth transition and not upsetting the
car.   On other downshifting situations (mostly from 4th to 3rd)
I'll may just heel & toe as it seems to save a little bit of time;
but sometimes I'll do double-clutching as well since I read
somewhere before that by doing so you'll put less stress on the
synchro.  This is particularly true for older cars as their synchros
may be a little tired already.

Regards,

Peter Li
NJ BMWCCA

p.s. Happy new year to all. And remember don't drink and drive.
     The cops will usually be out full force tonight!