Oil testing

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> wrote:

> Well, for less than $35 you can buy a new filter and seven quarts of
> Mobil 1.  Why would you spend that money once (or twice!) to see if the
> oil is still okay, when you can just spend the money on new oil and KNOW
> that it's okay?
>
> I think that regular oil analysis may be a good thing to monitor the
> state of your engine, but I think that it's a waste of money to use it
> as a guideline for replacing your oil.

Well, it certainly isn't necessary to test every time you change your oil!
Testing ONCE is probably sufficient to determine a recommended
oil-changing frequency for your car, your driving, and your oil, unless
one of those changes. And, when you are using $7/quart RedLine, the $35
one-time cost is easily justified. :) I feel pretty confident, now, with
this objective scientific evidence, in running my oil 5-6K.

My primary reason for testing my oil is, however, as you suggested, to
monitor the state of my engine. Every 6 months to one year is probably
sufficient. It would seem to make sense in association with an annual
major inspection.

Jon Tara
95 325is