Re: oil changing frequency - questioning the gospel

Jon Tara wrote:

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:27:54 -0800 (PST)
>From: Jon Tara <jtara@domain.elided>
>Subject: oil changing frequency - questioning the gospel
>
>MUDSCOW@domain.elided asked how bad the oil is at 3K, 4K, 5K, 10K, etc.
>
>One (and, really the only) way to find out is to have your oil tested.
>It's (relatively) cheap, fun, and prudent.
>
>I had mine tested by the fellow who sells me my Red Line. He uses
suction
>device to take a sample of oil through the dipstick while the engine is
>running. He collected $35, and sent it off to the lab (Analysts, Inc.
                        ^^

Well, for less than $35 you can buy a new filter and seven quarts of
Mobil 1.  Why would you spend that money once (or twice!) to see if the
oil is still okay, when you can just spend the money on new oil and KNOW
that it's okay?

I think that regular oil analysis may be a good thing to monitor the
state of your engine, but I think that it's a waste of money to use it
as a guideline for replacing your oil.

My $0.02...

Ron Buchalski