94 740 Tranny Questions HELP

My 94 740i transmission just went out, I have approxomately 55 thousand
miles on the car and what happened is that the reverse gear is not
working.  Has anyone experienced this problem with their BMWs before?  It
is the 5 speed automatic transmission.  The dealer told me that the car
came with a 100 thousand mile warrenty on all "lubricated" parts.  This
was due to the sulfer damageing the american engines wasn't it?  This
didn't really cover the transmission?  Well, the transmission seems fine
but whenever you put it in reverse it acts just like it is in park.  The
engine appears to rev freely, but the mirror does tilt down as
if it is in reverse.  Could this just be a problem with some
electronics or did I drop a grear?  I really have never driven the car
hard, and dropping reverse which I have rarely used with more than a 5 mph
backup seems like there is something amiss.  Please help, the dealership
tells me that a new tranny is going to be $6000.  Feel free to reply to me
directly at baw2@domain.elided.

Thanks to all.

Brent