Insurance companies

Hi all,

Having just had quite an "experience" getting my mom's car repaired after
some bonehead slammed a pickup truck tailgate into the door as he was
pulling out of a parking spot, I want to tell you one thing:

Use only reputable, well-known, insurance companies!

SHEESH, what a nightmare this has been trying to get the bonehead's company
to pay!

We got the ole' "voice-mail run-around", the "I don't have the appraisal"
dodge (when the appraiser sent it a week earlier, and told me so)  The
"checking coverage and rating for 9 days" dodge, the "oh, that form must be
in a different office" dodge, and about 4 others, all of them assisted by
the constant voice-mail dodge...

The slimiest insurance company I have ever seen.

They will remain nameless, because their identity is not important.
Suffice it to say that when you get "bargain basement" insurance, you may
not get any service when you need it.

Stay with a real company.   One that has an address, not a PO box.   One
that answers the phone, and if the agent is not available, gets another,
just as competent, to help.   One that gets things done in a timely manner,
and NEVER uses technology to avoid you, and delay payment.

We use Liberty Mutual, and the level of competence and service is very high
in everything that we have dealt with them, and the contrast between them
and the cheeseball company that the bonehead had is striking....

Now for a question.

We are getting quite a bit of money tied up in the '02 now, and by the time
we have it back from paint and upholstery in mid-Jan. we will have even
more.

How have some of you handled this, insurance wise?   How do you insure your
old BMW so that you can replace with another one of equal quality whould it
be wrecked or stolen?

What has worked for you?

Some wisdom would be most helpful here.

Thanks!

DC

Don Cicchetti - BMW CCA member 122043
dcicchet@domain.elided
'71 2002/318ti (waddya mean that motor don't go in there?)

- -Beatnik Motor Werke-