<E30> The mystery of double-locking.

I have a '92 325iC (E30) with a strange problem. If I lock the door with a
key from a passenger side, both doors and trunk lock. If I do it from the
driver's side, however, only the driver's door locks. Turning the key 45 or
90 degrees does not make a difference. However, if I pull on the door
handle after locking the driver's door, the other door locks as well. But,
the door I'm pulling on ajars a little, so I have to push it closed.
Through all this it stays locked.
Consequently, I can only turn my key while locking the driver's door, if I
insert the key one way, but not the other. That is only true on the
driver's door, not on passenger door or ignition, or even unlocking the
driver's door.
Could this be just a worn key? Any other ideas? I read the FAQ on
double-locking, and unfortunately found it to be very poorly written.
Obviously written by an engineer, and I am one as well, but it's not that
easy to comprehend :-)
TIA. Mike.S

'92 E30 325iC, BMWCCA #159367
http://www.gis.net/~mikest