<E30> Frozen locks

Jeff asks
>Well the temps have dropped and yet again my locks are acting up.  Does
>anybody know if heated locks were an option on any model E30?  Has
>anybody successfully added them to their car?

yes they were an option

unfortunately they often
a) stopped working
b) stuck in the ON position and ate a battery, or even caught fire

E30 can either have
- -interior light delay or
- -heated door locks
not both

just carry a bottle of lock de-icer, I don't think the bmw heated locks
are worth trying to figure out how to wire in

ftp://ftp.doe.carleton.ca/pub/chrisp/bmw/central.lock.faq
has info on accessing the door lock and seeing if you have heated locks

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002