Oil Changes

>It's time for my 3000 mile oil change again. However, someone who was
recently
>sharing his formula for engine longevity pointed out the fact that each
time
>the oil is changed, the engine is starved for oil on restart while the new
oil
>is pumped into the system.
>
>Steve H

Steve,

Here at the Rolling Rock Garage, we don't worry much about that as we use
synthetics which run much more slippery in the engine internals than
dino-juice.  But, having said that, when I change the oil in my Class 6
diesel straight truck - which DOES run dino-juice (that has a pair of 1
quart oil filters), I prefill the spin-on oil filters with 3/4 of a quart of
oil before I install them. This in effect minimizes the oil starvation on
the lines.  On this big diesel engine, the oil filters are quite aways away
from the sump, so it seems prudent to do this.

You certainly can't hurt your E36 by dumping a quart into the oil filter
cannister before you bolt the top back on.  It will pre-soak the paper
filter for you. Will it really help in this instance?  Dunno....sounds damn
good in theory though, eh?

Methinks your chance of damaging any engine by frequent oil changes is
extremely minimal.  Myself, I run only synthetics in all my gas engine
vehicles and generally run them to 7,500 miles before a change OR every 6
months if they are not being driven much.  Conventional oils I would change
at 4,000.  Just my preference, don't have any science to back it up, and
also never wore out an engine in 30 years of doing it.

Duane Collie