Battery Life

Several have recently commented on what appears to be shorter battery
life and/or poorer quality batteries.

Short battery life has a fact of life with my 1990 535i over the past
eight years.  After going through several BMW-branded batteries, I
decided to stop activating the BMW theft alarm while the car is parked
in my garage.  As a result, battery life seems to have been improved.
Also, my current Interstate-branded battery seems to be better than
those previously used.  None-the-less, keeping receipts is still
mandatory, in my view.  The usual disclaimer applies.

Do I anticipate the same problem [and possible cure] with my new E39?
How does one lock an E39 WITHOUT activating the factory-installed alarm?

Lonn Henrichsen
1999 528iT [w/sport pkg & 5-speed]
1990 535i [w/5-speed]
BMW CCA 13634