Re: <E28> Looking for CO adjustment screw

> Hello Bimmer Heads,
>
> I have been lurking this digest for several months and finally need some
> help I cannot find in the ftp archives.  I, like many other E28 owners,
> am in an endless battle for a smoother idle.  I am wanting to adjust the
> air fuel mixture but cannot locate the air flow sensor mixture screw.
> The Bently manual shows a picture of this screw under a anti-tampering
> plug (on page 37 of the Fuel Injection chapter) that I must remove
> before I can get to the 5mm hex adjustment screw.  I have just received
> the "BMW Enthusiasts Companion" for Christmas and believe I can adjust
> my CO without the use of an exhaust gas analyzer by following one of the
> reprinted Roundel articles.  If I can only find that screw.
>
> I have an '86 535i with Motronic 1.1   I have looked all over my air
> flow meter cannot see it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Dave Kan
> 86 535i
> 196K Miles
> BMWCCA 154020

Hi Dave,

The mixture screw is under the air flow meter with this model. With 520i
it is on the the top so it is easy to adjust. But with big six, you have
to take meter of, adjust and put it back again.

However, I think it is possible to leave the boot on and just bend the
whole meter up, so that you can adjust while motor is running. But
remember that bypass screw only effects low and a little middle range
revs and has NO effect when stepped on the throttle (because air-meter is
fully open anyway). So I suggest that you adjust to lean side if you
motor runs nice like this (2-4 round out from fully in). Could you tell
me how you new nanual tell you to adjust this mixture. I do not have any
manuals but have totally rebuilt two E28, so I have learned something on
the way.. but like to learn more!

BTW, There is not such a thing as impossible idle adjustment and rough
idle if your motor is ok. If you cannot get the revs where your would
like (900?), I will be happy to help.

Good luck!

- - Tom Kalves
'82 520i