E28 Rocker Panel Trauma

I seem to have a small amount of weak/oxydized metal around the welds in the
rocker panels at the jack points.  (Driver's side front.)  The rest of the
body/subframe is completely solid.  Will a good sandblasting and a few welded
patches suffice?  While there is no immediate structural threat, I know that
once they start, they only get worse.  Has anyone addressed this situation
with any positive results?  (I remember my 320i needed interior & exterior
rockers welded in, bodywork & paint on top of that...to the tune of $1500 -
$2500, depending on the shop.)  Thanks, and Happy Silly Season, everybody.

Rob
'85 535i
'78 Landcruiser FJ-40