<E21> Clutch questions

Merry Xmas to all.

      Bought a nice 80 320iS for the daughter. A nice white S pack with wheels
and upgraded suspension. A nice ride. She's now an adult, she's in debt to my
credit union...... Question for you though. I got the seller to drop his price
as the clutch wasn't quite right. I've flushed/bleed the system and it still
engages/disenges right off the floor. Does the wearing of the disc lining
affect wear the engagment point is??? Is the method of inserting feeler gauges
between slave and bellhousing work to measure wear?? I wonder if the release
bearing finger breaking as is known for several models could be a factor?? It
requires more effort that mine and the setups are very similar, identical
trannys and I've got a Tii clutch 228mm and she has a Stock(?) 320i 215mm. If
someone did a clutch job and the flywheel step in not there or wrong how would
that affect engagment??  I plan to pull the tranny and replace the disc/plate
and bearing but wonder about the flywheel step as if I do this next weekend I
don't think I can get /find a machine shop that'll be open if the step is
wrong.

Greg Mierz
GregM2002@domain.elided
Roster Manager