re: <E28> Diff ratios for E28

Ken,

My original diff was a 3.25 open. OK performance. I then went to a 3.45 lsd
- - nice performance leap! It gave me more low end punch, which is much more
useful to me than a high top speed. However, a mechanic friend with nearly
the same car as I has said he loves his 3.73. It really isn't too much. And
it certainly is more fun to drive, since few of us see top speed anyway.

IMHO, limited slip is important! Your power won't be wasted spinning your
wheels. If you have the bucks ($800-$1000), go for a Quaiffe gear driven
limited slip. It is much more efficient than the clutch type of a standard
limited slip. And have the whole thing rebuilt before you bolt it up. This
makes the diff a known quantity rather than a black box that may fail you
10K miles down the road.

Ray Barber
'83 535i Euro
Los Angeles Chapter, BMW CCA