painting calipers

In a message dated 12/23/1998 1:18:52 PM Central Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Subject: Painting Calipers-barbecue black?-not!

 Jeff asks about painting calipers...

 Jeff your best and safest bet is to take the calipers off.  secondly buy a
 product from Ultra Performance called folliatec caliper paint.  It comes in
 about 6 colors and I think they may have white.  I got yellow on my avus
 blue M3.  This is a complete kit that costs about 50 bucks.  It has the
 caliper cleaner, paint, hardner and instructions.  This is a very high heat
 paint that goes on with a brush.  It hardens to a nice gloss and brake dust
 can usually just be hosed off.  Just be sure to clean the calipers really
 well with a wire brush.  >>

I am sure that the Ultra Performance kit works well, but $50 seems a bit
pricey.  I simply used a can of high temp paint that I purchased at Sears on
my calipers.  I used red - other colors are available.

The paint hasn't chipped at all -  even after a few high temp track sessions.
The most important part of the process is starting with a clean caliper.  I
used a wire brush to remove dirt and rust.  Another option is to have them
bead blasted....I had a local shop clean up a set of calipers this way and
they turned out perfect - much cleaner than cleaning by hand and not real
expensive.

Scott Hemauer
'94 325i
'95 Mitsu Eclipse GSX