RE: <e28> Noisy on COLD start up

I have an oil pressure gauge on my 85 535i. I have noticed that when the car
sits outside overnight when it is really cold it takes quite a long time to
get proper oil pressure. I remember one occasion in particular when I was
running 20w50 Castrol GTX (prior to the Mobil 1 days) and was up north when a
cold spell hit. The car built enough oil pressure to turn the warning light
off, but it never exceeded 12-15 psi. I ended up shutting the car off, pushing
it inside the heated garage and letting it warm up for a few hours. I would
imagine this is partially attributable to the aging oil pumps. The car will
always take 3-5 seconds to fully prime the motor with oil, I am sure given the
newer colder weather it was more prominent. If the car is going to spend the
winter outside a lighter grade synthetic ( Mobil 1 10w30) might be a good
idea.

Derek Atkin
85 535i 165k
BMW CCA 136755