Re: <e28> Noisy on COLD start up

> Hello All:
>
> Winter arrived in Chicago yesterday.  This morning it was about 10 degrees (F)
> when I went out to start my trusty '87 535i 5speed, 154k miles. On start-up I
> was greeted with a really awful-spun bearing?- type of noise.  It lasted about
> 3-5 seconds and then went away.  I shut down and restarted--no noise.  I have
> driven the car about 30 miles today w/out any unusual noises or vibration.
>
> I called a friend of mine who also has a '87 535is with 180K miles).  He tells
> me his car make a similar noise every cold morning (less than 30 degrees) for
> about 10 seconds.
>
> This noise really worries me.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Alexander
> Riverside, IL
>
> 1987 535i
> 1987 Saab SPG
> 1964 Ferrari 330gt
> 1976  Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT

Hi David,

This noise comes from the start motor as it hangs on the flywheel. When
it is cold, the lubrication on the pendex (?) becomes so stif that it
does take some time for the start motor to shift from operation position
to get back to normal rest position. As the motor starts, it revs more
than run by the start motor only and this couse some vibration in the
electric motor. So no worry, it will do no harn.

Just keep the revs as low (up) as possible. The higher the revs the more
difficult it is for the start motor to get back. So do nothing or if you
want the noise away: open, clean and apply new lubrication for pendex.

- -Tom Kalves