re: big 6 oil leak, any ideas? <long>

>Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:40:40 EST
>From: ABARTH037@domain.elided
>Subject: big 6 oil leak, any ideas? <long>

>>Nathan wrote:
I had my 535 in the garage the other day and it leaks some oil.  I had
it up on the lift before and pulled the flywheel cover plate off
(thought it was rear main seal), and the engine side of the flywheel was
totally dry, even after it hade been sitting and dripping?  then I
thought it was the cam cover gasket, so that was replaced next, needless
to say, all of the nuts were really loose, they are torqued to spec now.
Still leaks!! Here's another scary bit, while having the cam cover off I
decided to check head bolt torque ( I know they are supposed to be
"degree torqued" but I carefully kept rasing the torque wrench setting
untill it would just barely, and I mean barely turn
them.  So anyway, the second headbolt in from the back on the exhaust
side was loose (too loose for comfort!) , STILL LEAKS!!!  We are
approaching the get intoxicated and call it a day point now.  So the
questions are as follows: Any Ideas? Oil press senders?  This is getting
frustrating!  So, I am also looking for a cylinder head to prepare for
the inevitable head gasket failure in the near future, did I mention I
meant "cheap" cylinder head?  $800 is a little ridiculous since I didn't
pay much more than that for the car.  I'm more in the $100-300 range,
preferably $100!  Any help would be greatly  appreciated!!
Thanks!

Nathan
85 535i <<<

Nathan,
My E34 had a pretty good leak for a while and I thought it was the main
seal also. So I brought the car up to my mechanic who promptly replaced
a $4.00 O-ring at the dipstick.  Sounds simple but it was rather
difficult to pin-point at first.  I was amazed to see how much oil got
past this little bugger.  I think it's worth investigating at least.
Good luck!

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e