K&N-Type Filter/VERY Low Mounting/Uninentional Snorkel?

So I park my Bimmer next to a late-80s Honda Civic hatchback, and I notice
that the Honda had a K&N-type intake on it, and the conical filter was just
fore of the passenger's-side front wheel, about eight inches off the ground,
facing downward.  Additionally, the car had a small (crude, pop-rivited) scoop
THROUGH THE BUMPER to scoop some air to the intake and brakes (?).  My
question is:  Isn't this thing just waiting to hit a low puddle and suck a
bunch of water into the engine?  Honda's are pretty low, anyway, and this one
had been lowered further.  I'd never seen a setup like this -- just curious
how dangerous this might be.

Obligatory BMW content -- I was driving my E32 five-speed at the time, and I
have a K&N setup on my 325, but it's under the hood where the original airbox
was.

Mike LaBarre
Blue Ridge Chapter
E32, E30, 114