Re: sending foreign funds for buying bmw parts in Europe.

Dave, as long as you're dealing with a business, Mastercard/Visa should
work wonderfully.  Just like mail-ordering from someplace in the
States.  No conversion fees/service charges and you'll get the official
exchange rate that the banks use.  Best yet, if the item never arrives,
the c.c. company will track things down; sort of a free insurance.
If it's a person, and you trust them, I'd use a traveler's cheque made
out for whatever the price is in their currency.  Just sign it and send
it.  Of course, the recipient could simply pocket it and not worry too
much about your showing up to kick their ass...
One more consideration, I think the European Union is swithching to the
new Euro currency on Jan. 1, 1999.  I would guess all local currencies
would still be accepted during a grace period.  You wouldn't have to
worry if you're using a credit card.  Good luck and hope you pick up
some really cool Euro-stuff.
David