OBC Backlight

I recently replaced the backlight of the OBC on my 1986 325es.  It works,
lighting up when the car is turned.  The problem is when the headlights are
turned; the screen goes dark the way it was when the light was not working.
I originally thought that maybe something was backwards, so I compared to
another 325 of the same year.  In that car the light came on when the car
was turned on and same the same when the headlights were turned.  What is
wrong with mine?  I did not by a new part, but soldered in new bulbs per the
OBC FAQ...Could this have caused my problem?