Re: my 2002

I said he was "obliging," not necessarily "nice," unfortunately.
i.e.: he's going along with the 'right thing to do' plan, realizing that
I'm no longer, hopefully, the pigeon he may have (rightly) assumed.
I don't think the mechanic was out to harm me, but the owner of the shop
may have said to him:
"You've had that car apart here long enough. Now I know Jack will buy it
for 4 big ones.
Get rid of the girl." or something like that. very sad.

I've got about 12 areas of distraction and focus at the moment and simply
had left the
responsibility of the BMW to someone else, assuming he was experienced and
trustworthy.
We are able to meet tomorrow afternoon, Sunday morning, or Tuesday, but I'd
like an
experienced 2002-er with me. I'd like to know for sure what new parts were
put in and what old ones were swapped out. I'll be asking for an itemized
list at that time.
I just don't know how to tell if it's my original 50,000 mile engine or --
worst case scenario --
a bum 350,000 rebuilt but exhausted engine. I can't imagine that though.

Okay, the brakes are dead, I deserved that.
Specifically I was told that "the steel lines that hold [or control or
backup] the brakes had rusted and pressure on brake would cause them to
snap," as well as the rubber parts next to them. From other emails I've
received this seems to implicate the brake lines.
from dave gee:
    >I think what the mechanic probably means is that the brake lines
(tubes/pipes/etc).
    >thru which the brake fluid flows is about to rust thru.  if that
happens, your
    >brake fluid would leak out and you'd have no brake pressure on that line.
    >if it happened to one of the front lines, you'd have partial braking,
or to both front
    >lines you'd have no brakes.....   not good.
from Thi VanAusdal:
    >*Primary brakes (footpedal) work via pedal inside car, foot pushes
    >pedal, pedal moves (via several levers and pivots) a rod into a
    >hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder, which displaces fluid down steel lines
    >to the four corner brakes: calipers in front, wheel cylinders in rear.
    >The front calipers have moving pistons which grip the brake rotor and
    >slow car down.  The rear wheel cylinder has pistons which push out on
    >a brake shoes which push on the inside of the brake drum, which slows
    >the car.
    >
    >Between the Master Cylinder and the wheels are steel lines, and, where
    >the suspension and steering move, rubber flexible lines.

I have two people I could ordinarily ask to help but both are missing.
If anyone is is Monmouth County and able to meet me at the car place
on any of the above days, or if not, I'll wait until next week, please
email me.

I'm slightly concerned that I should just hijack my car back, even if it's
to "Circle BMW."
where I bought the car 23 years ago. Area mechanic recommendations still
needed.

Kathy
- -- overwhelmed with the holidays, three birthdays, my parents' 50th wedding
anniversary, 3 new websites, consulting, a new house, a new relationship,
packing, moving and now foremost,
remembering that a 2002 works -- if cared for properly.

>Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:15:00 -0500
>From: "Phemister, George  -  AFN" <PHEMISG@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re Kathy's 2002
>
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:25:52 -0500
>From: Kathy Forer <kforer@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Help/advice please: 50,000mi 2002 DOA?
>
>I spoke with the mechanic today, --currently associated with this used car
>shop, -- and made arrangements to look at/inspect the car this weekend. He
>was very obliging. But I'm on alert>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
>Why not ask this nice person to give you a written description of what he's
>talking about. That will help us diagnose the problem and solution.

Kathy Forer
Forever Ink, Clay, Mud, Wood, Paper and Stone
http://www.foreverink.com/drawing/