Re: newbie questions

>I looked at a beautiful '85 635csi today with 93k miles on it.
>Here are my questions: It is an automatic.  Being an 85, does this put
>it before the electronic 4-speeds I've read bad things about?

If will be the EH electronic box. Change the fluid and
filter immediately. Keep changing them regularly and you may
be OK.  You should getat LEAST another 40K out of it.

>Do I understand that this engine has a timing <chain>? What are the
>maintenance implications of chain vs belt?

The chain will last longer than the bodywork :-)

>I have much more to find out about this car...I haven't even driven it
>yet (snow today!)

Sixers are "fun" in the snow. Get four snow tyres, really.
You'll find lots of sixer stuff and a buyer's guide on my
web page.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!