thermostat problem?

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
> However, this morning when I
started-up, the fan was turning.  I used a shop towel to lightly touch th=
fan blades and the fan quit without much resistance, but as soon as I let=

go
of the blades, the fan resumed spinning.  Now that I'm writing this, it
seems obvious that this is not allowing the engine to reach normal
operating
temperature.  I've checked the coolant level<

it at a certain speed
and not take too much power when the engine is at high rpms as the fan , =
if
direct connected,
would draw too much Hp for what was needed in cooling.

Your problem could be a bad thermostat.  stuck open and not allowing your=

car to heat up .

However, you would be amaized on how different the oil temp and water tem=
can be.   Oil is really what =

you are concerned with.   Put in a VDO dipsick oil temp guage and see if
the oil is getting to operating temp.

You may want to experiment with your car by blocking off the grill with a=

towel and see if that makes a difference.
11 miles is far enough that the water should get to operating temp, but t=
he
oil will just become hot enough at the end of =

your commute, no mater what the water is doing.  =

 What happens on a longer drive on a cool morning, does it eventually get=
 =

to operating temp???

Mark K
www.innoventions.org