German oil changes

Christian Dannert wrote:

> The BMW dealer that did the Inspection II on my car also gave me his
> thoughts about low viscosity synthetic oils in older cars. The engine of
> my car had only seen 15W40 mineral oils before. At 115k kilometers the
> dealer changed it to 5W40 BMW brand synthetic as part of the regular
> maintenance. Of course I had to pay for it (only labour for oil change
> during inspection is free in Germany). I will change back to 10W40 or
> 15W40 mineral oil for the summer at the next oil change.

Regarding the "free" labor on oil changes, you might check your
invoice and see if there is a line like:

0000249   BMW MOTOROELSERVICE
          INKL. ALTOELENTSORGUNG                       15,60

The cost isn't much if it is there at all. where the dealer makes
money is in the price of the oil which is about double what you might
pay at an auto store. Nonetheless, most people think it is worth
forking over a bit more to have the dealer do the oil changes and
inspections, at least during the guarantee and Kulanz periods. If you
have a good dealer, it makes them much more willing to look for and
apply engineering fixes within the first three years. But I am sure
you have already heard this!

You might still experiment with 5W synthetic over the summer.  My
rough measurements suggest it still pays for itself in reduced fuel
consumption but your liters may vary.  BTW, between 25 460 and 88 981
km, my '93 M40 E36 318i consumed 5 598 liters of fuel or 8.8 l/100 km
(26.7 mpg U.S.).  Not bad for a classic, two-valve design. BMW really
knows how to refine motors.

- -John
'96 318is

- --