Re: E30 325iS

> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:19:19 EST
> From: MUDSCOW@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: E30 325iS
>
> I am thinking about getting some stiffer, slightly shorter springs for my 89
> 325iS. I don't want to lose too much practicality (bottoming, destroying front
> end, rattling fillings loose...) most adverts state about a 1.5" drop in
> front; How impractical is this for a daily driver? (Do have some nice open
> twisties involved in the daily drive). What springs do you all recommend? BTW
> I still have the original deep chin spoiler ~3" which snaps to the foglight
> brake vent panel.

I can only give you my experience.  I have E30 M3 springs and Bilstein Sport
shocks.
My car dropped about 1" and rides like a truck.  I don't mind, my wife doesn't
even mind, but everybody else thinks its harsh.  I've had it out for one track
weekend and it handled great.  I too still have the 3" chin spoiler on the
car.  I live in Salt Lake City where it seems like every driveway has a
drainage channel.  I have to hit them all at angles and I've still managed to
scrape up the spoiler.  Watch out for parking curbs, most are at least 6" and
I only have 5 7/8" of clearance.  As for bottoming the car out, I haven't done
it, and I drive the car everyday.  I'm willing to bet that a progressive
spring like H&R's  will feel a little less harsh on an everyday basis, and
probably handle better on the track.  If I keep the car, I'll probably go this
route after I figure out how to drive it in its current configuration.

> My 2050lb '73 tii with ST springs/bars rode like a stage
> coach being chased by bandits...sure did corner though...

That would be my current situation.  Good luck.

Kurt