bmw sound

I heartily agree BMW sound systems suck. Almost
everyone who has been in my car has pointed out
their car has better sound (but does your car have
240bhp?, nyah, nyah).

I also have a theory as to WHY our sound systems
suck: German radio stations suck and CDs cost like
$25. Thus, music is not nearly so big a part as
driving, or life, as in the US. They NEED the
extra 80bhp in their M3 to drown out the crappy
sound of the music, which they really don't want
to hear.

Would you really want to listen to David
Hasselhoff, oom-pah music, or the Kelly Family
through 400 watts of clean sound? [Shudder].
Didn't think so. If BMW engineers lived in the
states, where we have a couple of decent radio
stations, good bands, and you can get CDs for $11,
German car sound would improve dramatically
because they'd realize listening to music in the
car can be enjoyable.

I have also come up with these definitive lists,
which I hope to one day use as the basis for a
doctoral thesis in comparative something or other
(ok, I know I'm mixing verbs & nouns in this list;
still in progress):

Things Germans generally do well: beer, quaint
villages, porcelain, cars, motorcycles, pastries,
electric razors, warfare, skiing stuff, ale, dogs,
driving, engineering, schnaps, chicken dancing,
philosophy, science, fountain pens, literature,
stuffed animals, malt liquor, sausage, bread.

Things Germans generally do poorly: clothes, music
(other than classical and the Scorpions), car
audio, home audio, taxation, warfare, television
shows, all dancing save chicken-type, any
electronic stuff, movies, soft drinks, humor,
mixed drinks, ice, any ethnic restaurant except
German.