Re: several questions

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Steve Tribble wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I have seen several posts about oil additives, what about fuel additives.
> do these products actually do anything for you?  if so, what are the best ones?

I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to fuel additives, but Red Line SI-1
really does work, at least according to my single data point.  Proof:

About 18 months ago, I put a set of dual sidedraught Webers on the old,
stock, M10 motor in the 02.  Looking at the intake valves while the
manifold was off, I noticed *alot* of carbon buildup on the valves. During
the next 10 months, I drove it frequently and hard, and ran the Red Line
SI-1 stuff through twice, right before oil changes.

This past spring, I got a new "tweaked" M10 to put in, and transferred the
Webers to the new engine.  The old engines intake valves were clean,
shiny, and new looking!

So, either the sidedraughts did it, or the SI-1 did (BTW, the original
engine was driven hard before the sidedraught conversion -- by hard I mean
not upshifting at 2k RPM, frequent red-line runs, etc. -- not abusive).
I'm inclined to believe that Techron works similarly.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX

End of bmw-digest V9 #718