<M50> UNDERheating

Dear Bimwads, I think Lil Spunky, my 93 325is wundercar, is trying to warn
me of eminent doom.  For the past 3 days as morning temps in Atlanta have
dropped into the 30s, Spunky's temp gauge has barely moved above the blue
zone during my morning commute along 11 miles of street and freeway driving.
By afternoon, when temps are in the 50-60s, all is well with the temp needle
moving smartly to the 12:00 position.  When cold, with the engine off, the
fan turns freely with only slight drag.  However, this morning when I
started-up, the fan was turning.  I used a shop towel to lightly touch the
fan blades and the fan quit without much resistance, but as soon as I let go
of the blades, the fan resumed spinning.  Now that I'm writing this, it
seems obvious that this is not allowing the engine to reach normal operating
temperature.  I've checked the coolant level, belt tension and waterpump for
clues, but all seems normal.  Is this an early warning of a fan clutch
going?   Is there anything else I should check or any way to repair the
existing fan?  Do I have my ERAM turned up too high!  I'd be happy to give
the offending fan clutch to one of our OVERheating 02 members;-))  Let's
hear your thoughts.....it's beginning to feel a little too much like
Christmas.

Bubba by birth,
Ron Sanders
Phone: 404-639-4678