Re: <E30> 325ic Newby questions

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 peacock@domain.elided wrote:

> 2. The "Check" warning light above the service indicators is an
> indicator for what...

 It flashes to warn you to look up at the black box to see what you
should be checking.  When you start the car, it flashes until you hit
the brakes so that it can verify brake light operation.  While you're
driving, it will begin to flash if your oil gets low for instance.
You can stop the flashing again by hitting the check button on the
black box.

> 3. The "black box" front dead center of the roof, appears to have
> warning indicators in a column to the left of the well labled table
> of lights.  What's in the column (if anything...I can't quite make
> it out).

 If they ain't labeled, they probably don't have a function.

> 4. The previous owner installed a brand new "rag-top" prior to my
> purchase and had it installed.  However just behind the rear left
> and right windows the roof has gaps allowing one to see outside.  Is
> this normal or was the roof installed incorrectly... Can you point
> me in the direction for corrective measures.  and ....

 There are window seals that go there.  The rear windows should slide
up into the slots and you should not be able to see through there.
The windows are adjustable so that one can correct for slight
misalignments.

> 5.  The previous owner installed a new clutch plate.  However the
> gear shift was aligned in such a way that shifting into 1st and 3rd
> causes the gear shift to hit the plasting molding at the base of the
> leather boot.  Can you point me in the direction for realigning the
> gear shift more toward the rear of the shift area.

 Perhaps the shift lever is rotated 180 degrees from normal?  I did
that once when reconnecting my old E21 shift lever.  What a pain.
Or maybe the bushings are worn very badly, in which case you should
bl/ss and erk it.

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and