re: Tires

MartyWS@domain.elided asked:

>Got a tire question.  Car is a 93 525i, on which I am running Michelin MXV-4
>Energies, size 225 60/15.  Good tires, smooth, quiet, reasonably good handling
>(I do some driving schools and will probably do more), but after 35,000 miles,
>they are all done.  Any suggestions for replacement?  I need them to be fairly
>durable for the driving schools (absolute handling limits are not that
>important to me, but I don't want them to fall apart or wear out their
>shoulders after a few sessions), and a quiet ride and reasonably decent ride
>(low impact harshness) is important for this type of car.  Do I do the
>Michelins again, or is there a good compromise tire out there that anyone can
>recommend?  Since I occasionally (and I do mean occasionally, since I live in
>AZ) take the car skiing, if a little foul weather capability was thrown into
>the mix, I wouldn't complain, although it is... the lowest of my priorities.

Most any other tire will be an improvement in handling.  Since you're
already up to the 225/60 size you might like the Bridgestone RE940 which is
an ultra-high performance Z-rated all-weather tire.  Great tread pattern to
prevent the cupping to which the E34 is prone, very long wearing for such a
high performance tire, but may not last 35,000.  We've had great service
with them on some E34 V8s and M50 5speeds.  If you just happen to like the
Michelin name (sublimation from TV commercials) the Pilot XGT V4 will cost
only slightly more, comes in that size as V-rated with no all-season claim.
If you're a tightwad, the Yokohama AVS-S4 is a steal in an all-season
Z-rated tire.

Your best bet for driving schools is to get another set of rims and
dedicated tires shaved or pre-worn to a depth which won't cause as much
"chewing" of the shoulders in high speed cornering.  New tires will go away
much faster on the edges in a track environment, no matter which tire you
choose.

- -Phil Marx

End of bmw-digest V9 #710