<E36> Help! Coke in center console

Well, it inevitably happened.  I was spending the week roadtripping and
picked up a Biggie Coke from Wendy's to keep me company.  Somewhere along
the way, after numerous insertions, it appears as though the "teeth" in the
cupholder broke a hole in the bottom edge of the cup.  All the Coke in the
cup dripped out of the cup and into the cupholder.  Then, it dripped out of
the cupholder into the center console.   By the time I figured out what had
happened, I now had sixteen ounces of Coke somewhere in the middle part of
my car.  My question is twofold.  First, it appears that most of the coke
dripped through the holes in the molding and underneath it.  What is
underneath the carpet in the center console and is it anything really vital
that Coke would affect?  Should I even bother with trying to clean it up,
since it seems to just be the metal body part underneath teh carpet?  Are
there any electrical things I need to worry about?  And doesn't it seem
like this would happen to more than just one person (ie who designed those
teeth?!) ?  Second, in trying to clean up the Coke, I couldn't figure out
how to get out the plastic molding piece that also holds the parking brake
boot.  I could get out the cupholder piece and the cupholder rail, but no
more.  Any recommendations on what to do are appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Conway Chen
'98 323is
BMWCCA #161860