Re: E46 M3, Coupe, etc

 "Sawwa, Christopher" wrote:

>Peter Mueller was asking about info on the new E46 M3. Also, I belive
>that due to very limited amount of information on the subject out there,
>It's a good idea to share. Consequently, here's what I know about the
>upcoming E46 M3 and Coupe, we all know the E46 Sedan.

> 1. It will be the new body style (E46) so it's a pretty safe bet that if
> you like the new E46 body, you'll love the new M3.

There were some pictures in AutoWeek magazine (Nov.30). It looks very nice in
these pictures, better then in this months Roundel. The coupe pictured in the
AutoWeek has nice (I'm guessing) 17" rims and aggressive looking front air
dam.

> 2. Engine wise, I don't know too much, other than the new M3 is suppose
> to be the same for the US and Europe, unlike the E36 M3. This means to
> me that the europeans will see a decrease in specs, while hopefully US
> will see some increase.

It will debut at the Geneva car show in March. At first it will be offered
with the
same 2.5 l and 2.8 l inline sixes the sedan has. In early 2001, BMW will
unveil
revised sixes, including a new 220-hp 3.0-liter also earmarked for 3 and 5
Series
sedans.
The E46 M3 will debut a year later (2000) in Geneva powered by a 3.4-liter six
with 340-hp.

> 3. Price whould be at least bit higher than the current M3.

I don't recall reading anything about pricing on the new M3. My guess would
be that it's going to be high around $50k

> 4. The only pics of E46 other than the 99' 328i, 323i and some UK bound
> 318i and 316i (whatever possessed them to do the 316...) that I saw, was
> a computer generated pic of a E46 coupe, based on the E46 sedan. The E46
> coupe incidentally is suppose to hit the US market in spring of 1999.
> So, if you or anybody else come across any non sedan E46 pics PLEASE let
> me know :P

Norm Siegenthaler
97 M3