Re: Oil burning BA

>Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:43:00 -0500
>From: "Phemister, George  -  AFN" <PHEMISG@domain.elided>
>Subject: Oil burning
>
><<<<<John Pease wrote:
>When you take your foot off the gas, the cylinder vacuum draws oil through

>the valve guides. The blue smoke you see while cruising is caused by oil
>getting past the rings. I'll bet the oil consumption is just south of 1000

>miles per quart and cylinder compression is about 110 psi.>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
>I was under the impression -  quite possibly a wrong impression - that worn

>valve seals and guides produced smoke when the  throttle was opened after
>idling for a few minutes, i.e., a puff as the car pulls way in first gear.
>also thought that smoke on closed throttle from higher revs was caused by
>sudden vacuum pulling oil past the rings. Any thoughts?? Or are we talking

>advanced states of wear here.

George, John is correct in his description.  When a car has worn valve guides,
or seal, it will puff on no load decel, such as when you shift in a manual trans
car.  Watch someone in an older car really race off a light, as they clutch
for a shift, if there is a small puff of smoke, this is from the valve seals.

If, however, the smoke runs up with the revs, then look for bad rings.

Brett Anderson
BMW & ASE Master Technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence to