Re: 1979 635Csi Starting Problem

Are you sure your battery is ok?  Sometimes lights will come on but
starter motor won't turn.

A few days ago, my 635Csi failed to start.  All that happened when I
> turned the key was an audible click from the solenoid.  It didnt seem
to have
> any trouble starting before,  so I ordered a new starter and installed
it
> today. Now, it does the same thing! So, Im assuming my old
started/solenoid
> were fine, (Im not too upset, new parts cant hurt:]) But, Im right
back where
> I started.

> Could it be a wiring problem? Where should I look?  All my lights and
> everything else electrical in the car work fine, and when I turn the
key still
> all that happens is the solenoid click.

Been there, done that. Only difference is that the love of
my life is an '85 635CSi with Motronic 1.0 rather than
Jetronic-L like yours.

One word - RELAYS. I'd give all the unloader relays and the
main relay a good old wiggle and check the pins for oxidation.
If that doesn't work replace them, $10 each roughly. Getting
hold of the Electrical Test Manual (ETM) is a good move.

There is a fault finding guide on my web site. While you're
at it clean every wiring connection and fuse in sight. A
very high number of electrical problems in older BMWs are due
to good honest dirt.

If the car is an auto check the Park/Neutral inhibitor is working.